Knight of the Month/Year
A Higher Purpose
Promote the example of faithful men of virtue. Each council establishes a committee to recognize deserving Knights of the Month and one Knight of the Year, with potential for recognition on the international level.
Each month, the council Knight of the Month Committee selects one Knight who models Christian masculine virtues and visibly lives them every day. Once a year, each council also selects one of the previous Knight of the Month winners as their Council Knight of the Year. Additionally, the College Knight of the Year is chosen from the pool of council Knights of the Year by the Supreme Council and recognized at the annual College Councils Conference.
To satisfy program requirements, councils should select at least six Knights of the Month and one Knight of the Year during the academic year. For councils at schools with two semesters, this would be three Knights of the Month per semester.
- Working with your chaplain, obtain his recommendations on conducting the Knight of the Month/Year program.
- Ensure that all events and activities related to this program are fully approved by your chaplain and campus student activities office.
- Order the Knight of the Month/Year Kit through Supplies Online and at no cost by the council Grand Knight and Financial Secretary.
- Working with your chaplain, assemble a committee of council leaders to serve as that year’s Knight of the Month Committee. Some smaller councils may find it difficult to create such a subcommittee, in cases such as this, the whole council generally participates in the selection process. Before selecting any Knights of the Month, ensure that all committee members and your chaplain have reviewed the Knight of the Month/Year Guidebook (#10791), in depth. All members of the selection committee are asked to approach selection proceedings with the utmost professionalism and to remember that this is a reward for merit and virtue, not popularity.
- Each month, hold a committee meeting to select the Knight of the Month (this is sometimes done in conjunction with regular council business meetings). To be selected as Knight of the Month, winners should stand out as exemplary models to others in the council and on campus. The committee should consider the following factors in their search for a Knight of the Month:
- Does the member have a robust prayer-life that goes beyond weekly mass attendance?
- Has the member made significant contributions to the parish and church community?
- Is the member active in serving his local community?
- Is the member a true Catholic gentleman? Does he serve as a model man to his brothers?
- Once the Knight of the Month has been selected, formally present the Knight of the Month Certificate (#1476) to him. Make sure that he is duly recognized! This could be after a Mass, at a Knights of Columbus activity, or at another campus ministry event. Be sure to ask a fellow Knight or community member to photograph each event and make sure everyone wears Knights of Columbus-branded apparel.
- Build public interest! Promote your program in the campus community through a variety of efforts:
- Posting on your council website / social media pages
- Prominently display promotional posters (which can be ordered through Supplies Online and at no cost by the council Grand Knight and Financial Secretary)
- Pulpit announcements
- Bulletin announcements
- Make sure to submit the Knight of the Month Entry Form (#10764) to the College Councils Department by the 15th day of the following month. (Knights of the Month may be contacted to be showcased online, in the College Councils Newsletter or in other Knights of Columbus publications.)
- At the end of the academic year, select one of the previous winning Knights as your council’s Knight of the Year. Make sure to submit the Knight of the Year Entry Form (#10765) to the College Councils Department by June 30, so your Council Knight of the Year can be considered for the College Knight of the Year Award and scholarship presented annually at the fall Knights of Columbus College Councils Conference.
- Do not forget to make sure that your Council Knight of the Year is recognized too! Use the same procedures outlined for the Knights of the Month to celebrate the presentation of the Knight of the Year Certificate (#1545).
- To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission and College Councils Department. Remember to retain copies for your council records.