- Contact the state council to inquire about assisting in a Coats for Kids event or coordinating one in your community.
- Using Knights Gear (or another outside vendor) order coats for the event. Coats can be bought on www.knightsgear.com in the United States and www.knightsgear.ca in Canada.
- Prior to the Coats for Kids event, use the sample press release as a model to create and distribute a tailored release to local media.
- Build public interest! Promote the Coats for Kids event in your parish and larger community through a variety of efforts:
- Prominently display promotional posters
- Bulletin announcements
- Pulpit announcements
- Posting on your council and parish website / social media pages
- Invite the media to attend. (For publicity reasons, councils might also consider inviting local athletes, TV personnel, and the parish priest to the distribution, as well.)
- On the day of the event, wear Knights of Columbus-branded apparel and have the council membership director set up a table with brochures and membership documents (including Prospect Cards #921A). Do not forget that this event is a recruiting opportunity!
- Enlist a fellow Knight or community member to photograph the event.
- Following the Coats for Kids event, update the community on the success of your program by amending the sample press release and distributing it to local media, along with energizing photographs from the event.
- To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission. Remember to retain copies for your council records.
Coats for Kids Resources
- #10588 - Coats for Kids - Guidebook
- #10503 - Coats for Kids - Brochure
- #10586 - Coats for Kids - Vertical Poster
- #10587 - Coats for Kids - Horizontal Poster
- #10675 - Coats for Kids - Report Form
- #10655 - Coats for Kids - Press Release
- #10612 - Coats for Kids - Guidesheet