- Working with your pastor, put together a committee of council and parish leaders to serve as that year’s Family of the Month Committee.
- Each month, hold a committee meeting to select the Family of the Month. To be selected as Family of the Month, each family should stand out as an exemplary model to others in the parish. They should meet the following criteria:
- Is the family tight-knit? Does the family spend quality time together?
- Does the family attend weekly Mass together? Does the family pray together outside of Mass?
- Has the family made significant contributions to the parish and church community?
- Does the family serve as a model of Catholic family values?
- Once the Family of the Month has been selected, formally present the Family of the Month Certificate (#1843) to them. Make sure that they are duly recognized! This could be after a Mass, at a Knights of Columbus event, or at another parish event. Enlist a fellow Knight or community member to photograph the event.
- Use the Family of the Month sample press release as a model to create and distribute a tailored release to local media.
- Recognize the Family of the Month in your parish and larger community through a variety of efforts:
- Bulletin announcements
- Pulpit announcements
- Posting on your council and parish website / social media pages
- At the end of the fraternal year, prior to your state convention, select one of the previous twelve monthly winning families to represent your council and parish as Family of the Year. Make sure to contact your state family chairman to stay informed of deadlines and where to send entries.
- To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission. Remember to retain copies for your council records.
- By the 15th day of the month following recognition, complete and submit the Family of the Month Report Form (#10668). For example, the Report Form for the September Family of the Month should be submitted by October 15.
- At the end of the fraternal year, complete the Fraternal Programs Report Form (#10784) and your Columbian Award Application (#SP-7)
In addition to the Family of the Month Certificate (#1843), gifts recognizing the Family of the Month will be sent by the Supreme Council to the council: not the winning family. This will allow the council to spread awareness of the program and the example set by the winning family through formal presentation of the award at Mass on Sunday, or at another parish/council event. Each month, 100 awards are presented to winning families throughout the Order. The selection process for winning families is randomized.
The International Family of the Year is determined by the Supreme Council from the Family of the Year winners at the jurisdiction level. Family of the Year winners on the jurisdiction level are determined by the state council based on submissions from councils.
All supplies and kits should be ordered by your council Grand Knight or Financial Secretary using the Supplies Online application available through Officers Online. Please note that Guide Sheets, Press Releases, etc. are available below as PDFs.
- #1993- Family of the Month/Year - Guidebook
- #10668- Family of the Month - Form
- #1843- Family of the Month - Certificate
- #10667- Family of the Month - Press Release
- #10680- Family of the Year - Form
- #1843A- Family of the Year - Certificate
- #10607- Family of the Month/Year - Guide Sheet