A Higher Purpose
Celebrate the intrinsic worth and dignity of every single human being through the Special Olympics. Knights of Columbus councils can work with Special Olympics affiliates to determine how best to fund, sponsor or volunteer for events in the local community.
The Knights of Columbus has a unique partnership with the Special Olympics and has helped disabled athletes train for and compete in games around the world. Knights of Columbus councils have assisted with all aspects of the program from fundraising to feeding the athletes, organizing and judging events, and providing equipment and awards. Without the support of the Knights, participants would not be able to train for the events that they love. Participating councils provide at least $2,000 in donations or 200 service hours in a fraternal year.
Featured Program Requirements
Councils are required to contribute a minimum of 200 man-hours in support of state/local Special Olympics activities, or must raise a minimum of $2,000 for Special Olympics. Report Activity using the Special Olympics Report Form (#4584).
- Contact the state Special Olympics chairman and local Special Olympics branch to see how the council might be of assistance. (Go to the Special Olympics website to find Special Olympics near you.)
- Set council goals for man hours and funds to be donated to Special Olympics.
- Build public interest of Special Olympics events! Promote in your parish and larger community through a variety of efforts:
- Bulletin announcements
- Pulpit announcements
- Posting on your council and parish website / social media pages
- Plan and conduct the event.
- Encourage participation of council members.
- On the day of the event, wear Knights of Columbus-branded apparel and have the council membership director set up a table with brochures and membership documents (including Prospect Cards #921A). Do not forget that this event is a recruiting opportunity!
- Enlist a fellow Knight or community member to photograph the event.
- To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission. Remember to retain copies for your council records.