2010 International Council Service Award
Father John Howard Council 8500
As a 12-year-old boy, Joe Lintol had his spleen removed as a result of an accident. Today, when people have their spleens removed, the procedure is followed up by a series of immunizations to guard against future infections. When Joe had his operation, these immunizations had not yet been developed.
That’s why, when he was bitten on the finger by a neighbor’s dog on Christmas Eve 2008, it turned into much more than a minor inconvenience.
Within 24 hours of the dog bite, Joe began to feel the effects of the streptococcal bacterial infection that nearly killed him. The blood infection caused him to have a heart attack and multiple organ failure. It also attacked his extremities, causing the eventual amputation of both his hands and feet.
He recovered, but the medical bills were staggering. That’s where Father John Howard Council 8500 in Highland, Mich., stepped in.
With the full support of the parish and community, the council organized a barbecue chicken fundraiser, with all proceeds going to the Lintol family. A local butcher donated the chicken and the barbecue pit. The parish women’s club prepared all the desserts, and Knights and their families provided all the side dishes.
At the end of the day, the council raised $35,000, and presented the check to the Lintol family at the parish picnic.