FAQ | Building the Domestic Church While Strengthening Our Parish
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions regarding this initiative can be sent to Contact Us (General Inquiries).
- 1. What is the Building the Domestic Church initiative?
- 2. How can my council get started?
- 3. Why is the initiative being promoted by the Supreme Council?
- 4. How does the initiative impact our councils?
- 5. How should councils engage in parish youth ministry?
- 6. What programs should councils conduct as part of the Building the Domestic Church initiative?
1. What is the Building the Domestic Church initiative?This initiative refers to activities focused on helping Knights of Columbus and their families to become more fully formed in their Catholic faith, and on fostering a closer relationship between Knights of Columbus councils and the parishes they serve. In promoting each family as a domestic church, the Knights of Columbus primarily seeks to integrate our members and their families more fully into the sacramental and social life of the parish.
2. How can my council get started?A critical first step is a meeting between council leaders and the pastor. Visit kofc.org/domesticchurch for a primer on how to prepare for and manage this meeting.
3. Why is the initiative being promoted by the Supreme Council?The Knights of Columbus has always been an organization dedicated to the well-being of the family. By building upon our programs and encouraging councils to more fully integrate with the sacramental and social life of their parish, we hope to strengthen our members’ families, revitalize our parishes and grow our Order.
4. How does the initiative impact our councils?
The Domestic Church initiative is designed to help councils refocus on the Order’s mission to strengthen families and revitalize parish communities.
To do this, the council must prioritize family activities and support the needs of their pastor. Knights should keep their pastor informed about all the resources their council can offer.
5. How should councils engage in parish youth ministry?Grand knights should meet with their pastors to discuss the role that council members and their families can have in supporting parish-based youth ministry programs and activities. These can incorporate Knights of Columbus youth programs, such as the Free Throw Championship and the Soccer Challenge. Youth Activity chairmen should act as a liaison with the parish youth ministry team in order to determine how the council can best support parish youth activities.
6. What programs should councils conduct as part of the Building the Domestic Church initiative?Visit kofc.org/domesticchurch for the most current listing of programs that the Supreme Council is promoting under the Building the Domestic Church initiative.
Domestic Church Activities
|Simple Supper & Stations||Journey to the Inn|
|Family Rosary Program||Into the Breach|
|Consecration to the Holy Family||Family Fully Alive|
|Father’s Day Affirmation of Wedding Vows||Family Week Celebration|
|Holy Family Prayer Program||Food for Families|
|Journey to the Inn||Keep Christ in Christmas Campaign|