Hold a First Degree Within Four Weeks of the Recruitment Drive
Promptly advancing new members through the exemplification of degrees is absolutely essential to successfully building and maintaining membership. Here are some suggestions when organizing your degree:
- If your council has a First Degree team, invite other councils in the area that do not have a team to bring their candidates to your First Degree. If your council does not sponsor a First Degree team, work with other councils in the area, and possible a district-wide degree team to set up a First Degree.
- Schedule the degree within four weeks of your recruitment drive and publicize the degree at council meetings, in council bulletins, advertisements and mailings.
- Contact candidates a day or two in advance to confirm attendance. Advise recommended attire.
- If possible, arrange for the proposer or a member of the recruitment committee to pick up and escort a candidate to the First Degree.
- Distribute Candidate Kits (#531) — rosary, Knights of Columbus lapel pin, and These Men They Call Knights booklet.
- Advise new members of the next Second and Third degree exemplification date(s).
- Recognize new members and their proposers at the conclusion of the degree.
- Order and present New Member Certificates (#268) or current campaign degree certificates to degree recipients.
- Print the names of new members in the next scheduled council bulletin.
- Invite neighboring councils to your degree exemplification if they haven’t scheduled their own.