How to Recruit Former Members
Former Knights are men who are familiar with the ideals of Columbianism. They left the Order at one time but represent a pool of prospects that councils should not overlook in striving for membership growth. Appoint a special “Welcome Back Brother” committee specifically to recruit former members. Past grand knights familiar with circumstances of earlier departures are especially suited to serve on this committee.
- Obtain a list of “Former Members” (those who took withdrawals/suspensions) and “Inactive Insurance Members” (those who took withdrawals/suspensions but maintain K of C insurance policies) from the Department of Fraternal Services by calling 203-752-4473. Check with your financial secretary for additional names and most recent addresses.
- Review the list to determine former members known to be residing in the area who are eligible for membership.
- Prepare information for a presentation for former members highlighting changes, new programs/activities/benefits and recent council achievements.
- Order recruitment materials from knightsgear.com. Prepare kits of materials for distribution.
- Contact each former member by phone to arrange a personal visit or invite them to a reception for former members.
- If conducting personal visits, tailor presentations to highlight new changes/benefits, etc.
- If planning a “Welcome Back” or former-member reception, use the open house procedures. Be sure to invite your council chaplain and insurance agent to speak at the event.
- Ask every former member visited or those at reception to sign a Membership Document (#100) to renew membership.
NOTE: Reactivating inactive insurance members counts as an addition for both membership and insurance quotas toward earning the Father McGivney and Founders’ Awards.
NOTE: Reinstatements, readmissions or reapplications of associate members counts as membership additions for the Father McGivney Award.