Use These Ideas to Supplement Your Recruitment efforts.
How to Recruit Former Members
Former Knights are men who are familiar with the ideals of Columbianism. They left the Order at one time but represent a pool of prospects that your council should not overlook in striving for membership growth. Appoint a special “Welcome Back Brother” committee specifically to recruit former members. Past grand knights familiar with circumstances of earlier departures are especially suited to serve on this committee.
- Obtain a list of “Former Members” (those who took withdrawals/suspensions) and “Inactive Insurance Members” (those who took withdrawals/suspensions but maintain K of C insurance policies) from the Department of Fraternal Services by calling 203-752-4473. Check with your financial secretary for additional names and most recent addresses.
- Review the list to determine former members known to be residing in the area and eligible for membership.
- Prepare information for a presentation for former members highlighting changes, new programs/activities/benefits and recent council achievements.
- Order recruitment materials from knightsgear.com. Prepare kits of materials for distribution.
- Contact each former member by phone to arrange a personal visit or invite them to a reception for former members.
- If conducting personal visits, tailor the presentation to highlight new changes/benefits, etc.
- If planning a “Welcome Back” or former-member reception, use the open house procedures. Be sure to invite your council chaplain and insurance agent to speak at the event.
- Ask every former member visited or those at reception to sign Membership Document (#100) to renew membership.
NOTE: Reactivating inactive insurance members counts as additions for the quotas for both membership and insurance for the Father McGivney and Founders’ Awards.
NOTE: Reinstatements, readmissions or reapplications count as membership additions for the Father McGivney Award.
Call In Your Knights of Columbus Agent
The Knights of Columbus insurance program is operated for members and their families and relies on council-agent teamwork for its success while providing the financial backbone for all the Order’s good works.
We often refer to insurance as your greatest membership benefit. It can also be a compelling reason for a man to join the Knights of Columbus. Many men – even those who don’t have a great deal of time – find it attractive to be able to protect their family with top quality life insurance while helping to support the many good works of the Order.
Your council needs to work as closely as possible with its field agent. Start by appointing an insurance promotion chairman, if possible the field agent, to ensure a smooth council-field agent relationship. New officers need to get to know their field agent. Call on him to be a part of your recruitment team or to help train recruiters. Remember, he is a professionally trained salesman — work with him!