Remarks by Supreme Knight Carl A. Anderson
Homily for the Mass for 20th Anniversary of the Founding of the John Paul II Institute
The Catholic University of America rededicated one of its prominent academic buildings Sept. 8 after a major renovation funded by the Knights of Columbus.
The building was renamed McGivney Hall in honor of the Venerable Servant of God Father Michael J. McGivney, who founded the Knights in 1882.
The Knights of Columbus has a long tradition of providing support for Catholic University. Beginning with a $55,000 contribution in 1904 to endow a Chair in American History, the fraternal order has provided the university with more than a century of financial support.
In 1914 the K of C provided CUA a $500,000 endowment for fellowships and operating costs. In 1965, the organization established the Pro Deo and Pro Patria Scholarship Program to provide tuition assistance to Knights and their family members attending the university.
Statue of Father McGivney on grounds of McGivney Hall.
In 1989, the K of C created the $2 million Bicentennial of the U.S. Hierarchy Fund to benefit CUA, proceeds of which helped finance construction of the law school building.
Located at the southeast corner of the campus’s central mall, McGivney Hall is at the center of the university’s many programs and activities. The five-story limestone structure of modern-classical design was built originally in 1958 as the university’s physics research facility.
McGivney Hall will serve as the new home for the North American session of the Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family, a graduate school of theology affiliated with the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome, as well as CUA. The Knights of Columbus provides major financial support for the Institute. It had previously occupied administrative and classroom space at CUA’s national seminary, Theological College, across Michigan Avenue from the main campus.