Habitat for Humanity
A Higher Purpose
Build homes for families in need. Knights of Columbus councils are asked to donate a minimum of $1,000 or 200 service hours to Habitat for Humanity projects in their community. A featured program, Habitat for Humanity counts for two credits toward the Columbian Award.
Knights of Columbus councils work closely with Habitat for Humanity, a nonprofit Christian organization, to build homes for families in need at substantially reduced costs. Each year, councils throughout the world donate a considerable number of volunteer hours and dollars to this worthy cause. In order to satisfy program requirements, councils are asked to donate a minimum of $1,000 or 200 service hours to Habitat for Humanity projects in their community.
- Contact the local Habitat for Humanity affiliate in your area for information on upcoming projects. (Contact information can be found at www.habitat.org or by e-mailing email@example.com.)
- Develop a calendar of Habitat for Humanity project dates.
- Provide information to council members and parishioners well in advance of an upcoming project so that they can participate and prepare.
- Build public interest for each event! Promote your council’s Habitat for Humanity in your parish and larger community through a variety of efforts:
- Prominently display promotional posters (which can be ordered through Supplies Online)
- Bulletin announcements
- Pulpit announcements
- Posting on your council and parish website / social media pages
- On the day of the event, wear Knights of Columbus-branded apparel and have the council membership director bring brochures and membership documents (including Prospect Cards #921A). Do not forget that this event is a recruiting opportunity!
- Enlist a fellow Knight or community member to photograph the event.
- To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission. Please note: councils must donate a minimum of $1,000 or 200 service hours to Habitat for Humanity projects in their community to satisfy program requirements. Retain copies of all reports for your council records.
- Immediately after your event is finished, complete the Habitat for Humanity Report Form (#10092) and Community Report Form (forthcoming)
- At the end of the fraternal year, complete your Columbian Award Application (#SP-7)