Ultrasound Initiative Guidelines
Ultrasound Machine Purchase Program
When a state council/local council campaign raises one-half of the cost of purchasing an ultrasound machine for a pro-life pregnancy care center (PCC), the Supreme Council will match the other half of the machine’s cost.
Since this is a joint state and local council initiative, the state deputy must be informed at the beginning of the process of local and state council efforts. Throughout the campaign the state deputy should be kept informed of local and state council progress.
To qualify for matching funds, a Knights of Columbus state or local council must take the following steps:
1. Locate a pro-life PCC that is prepared to receive and use an ultrasound machine.
2. Present a Diocesan Evaluation (Form #9884) to the (Arch)diocesan culture of life director to determine whether or not the PCC is anti-Catholic in any way (i.e. - some centers have individuals who have attempted to lead Catholic women away from the Church) and if the PCC may participate in the Ultrasound Initiative.
3. Determine that this PCC will be able to staff and operate this machine. This will include assuring that:
a. the center is properly licensed under state and local laws and regulations to operate an
b. the center is affiliated with a medical doctor who is willing to oversee the ultrasound machine operations
c. the machine will be staffed with licensed and experienced medical personnel
d. the center has adequate insurance for operation of the machine
4. After the Diocesan Evaluation has been submitted to and acknowledged as positive by the Supreme Council office, and each of the other criteria above have been met, the PCC officials, including the medical director, should select an ultrasound machine that will fit the center's needs. They should obtain a quote for the purchase price of the machine (not including shipping, taxes, maintenance agreements, extra parts or supplies, etc). The prices of ultrasound machines to date have reflected discounts negotiated with the vendor. In some cases, the discount has been 55% of the list price.
5. Begin fundraising. While the PCC may certainly assist in fund raising, if the PCC raises the funds predominately on its own, without on-going and significant involvement of the local council and/or the state council, the PCC will not be eligible for matching funds from the Supreme Council Office. The Knights of Columbus council must be actively involved in raising the funds for half of the purchase price of the ultrasound machine.
In the United States, the state or local council leading the drive should designate, or open, a council bank account to receive the funds. Donated checks should be made out to “Knights of Columbus,” not to the PCC, to assure all donations are counted towards the council’s 50% share of the funds to be raised and matched.
In Canada, because of differing tax codes, checks should be payable to the PCC, not to the council. The council leading the fund raising campaign should collect the checks and other donations, list them by name and amount, then turn the funds over to the PCC for deposit.
6. Once the funds for not less than half of the purchase price of the ultrasound machine are raised, the Ultrasound Initiative Application (#4886) should be completed, signed by the state deputy, and submitted to the Supreme Council Office. Enclose other required documents, such as the price quote for the ultrasound machine.
7. According to the same terms as described above, funds may be raised and matched in order to replace a PCC’s machine that has become less effective because of excessive use or outdated technology.
8. Plan a check presentation or ribbon cutting ceremony to be held when the machine arrives or is ready for operation. Be sure to invite the state deputy and determine with the PCC which media to invite.
Refer to KofC.org/ultrasound for additional information and for links to and download of the Diocesan Evaluation form and the Ultrasound Initiative application.
Culture of Life, Marriage and Family Values Office
Knights of Columbus
1 Columbus Plaza
New Haven, CT 06510-3326