World Day of Prayer for Peace - Action Steps
The Knights of Columbus World Day of Prayer for Peace will be conducted on Sept. 11.
Councils, assemblies and circles are urged to:
1. Work with your chaplain and/or pastor to coordinate a special prayer service, rosary or Mass for peace on Sept. 11. Consider having military personnel, public servants, public safety personnel to serve as lectors, eucharistic ministers, etc.
2. Distribute copies of the World Day of Prayer for Peace prayer card (#9484) to members and make it available in local parishes. This prayer card includes a new prayer for peace from Pope Benedict XVI. Also, display the World Day of Prayer for Peace poster (#9483) in your council’s meeting areas, on parish bulletin boards, and in other appropriate areas.
3. Make the World Day of Prayer for Peace an ecumenical event by involving churches of other denominations in the community. Invite them to join in any event coordinated by the Knights and provide World Day of Prayer for Peace posters and prayer cards for distribution in their worship centers.
4. Sponsor a corporate Communion breakfast or after-Mass open house. Distribute World Day of Prayer for Peace prayer cards and arrange for the showing of the Heroes Fund video production.
5. Get approval for World Day of Prayer for Peace posters to be placed on parish, council and community bulletin boards.
6. Consider recognizing local military personnel and/or public safety personnel in your community. Present them with a Patriotic Service award certificate (#839 – US; #839-C – Canada; #839-P –Philippines; and #839-S – Mexico).
7. Conduct a special membership drive or First Degree exemplification targeting military personnel and/or public safety officials in your community.
8. Make available to Knights and parishioners a supply of the Catholic Information Service (CIS) booklets Fifth Commandment – Moral Issues of Life and Death (#127) from the Luke E. Hart Series and A Scriptual Rosary for Peace (#319) from the Veritas Series.