Knights of Columbus councils are meant to serve their pastors and their parishes. The Coronavirus pandemic is a time to reinforce this to your pastor. He has lost his traditional method of charitable and evangelical outreach. Who better than the Knights of Columbus to directly and faithfully serve him? A pastor needs leaders that he can trust. By working closely with your shepherd, your council can protect your parish and ensure that no parishioner is left behind.
• Arrange a phone call or video conference call.
• Let him know that you want to discuss using the full arsenal of his Knights of Columbus council to support the parish in any way possible.
• Consider the health and availability of membership, and the financial state of your council when agreeing to assist your pastor in specific ways.
• Be prepared to address needs, both charitable and spiritual, ranging from reduced access to the sacraments to support for vulnerable parishioners.
• Creative ideas can include but are not limited to:
i. Moving Mass and devotions online.
ii. Hosting a video or conference call rosary or daily devotional.
iii. Setting up online parish giving.
iv. Assessing and providing resources for parishioners in need.
v. Using parish and council phone trees to check on the elderly of the parish.
vi. Making Knights of Columbus content and activities available to parishioners, including the Into the Breach video series.
• Assign committees and committee leaders to gather resources and execute tasks.
• Council leadership should be communicating in lockstep with the pastor – ensuring all actions of the council are inline with his desires, and that he is kept up to date on all support measures to his parish.
1. Appendix D: Support Your Parish - Sample Email Script (Found at the back of this Downloadable Guidebook)
Logos & Emblems
District Deputy Reminder
Knights in Action
Share your Knights in Action News
Please contact: Joseph Cullen, 203-415-9314,