- Set an annual goal for your Food for Families program.
- Contact a local food bank, food pantry or soup kitchen to inform them of your intentions and to initiate a partnership.
- Conduct various events in your parish and community in order to reach your goal!
- Prior to each event, use the sample press release as a model to create and distribute a tailored release to local media.
- Build public interest for your program! Promote each event in your parish and larger community through a variety of efforts:
- Prominently display promotional posters (which can be ordered through Supplies Online)
- Bulletin announcements
- Pulpit announcements
- Post on your council and parish website / social media pages
- On the day of each event, wear Knights of Columbus-branded apparel and have the council membership director set up a table with brochures and membership documents (including Prospect Cards #921A). Do not forget that this event is a recruiting opportunity!
- Enlist a fellow Knight or community member to photograph the event.
- Once your goal is reached, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission to obtain credit for your program. Remember to retain copies for your council records.
- Immediately after your program is finished, complete the Food for Families Refund and Plaque Application (#10057) and Family Report Form (forthcoming). Remember to provide proper documentation with form #10057, such as a donation receipt or letter from a food assistance organization detailing your donation.
- At the end of the fraternal year, complete your Columbian Award Application (#SP-7)
- Proudly display your Food for Families participation plaque in your parish or council hall and continue to add to it by participating every year!
Please note: Participating in Food for Families Program does not satisfy the programming requirements for the Helping Hands program. The two activities are separate and cannot be double-counted.