- Consider appointing The Global Wheelchair Mission chairman or assigning the task to the community activities chairman for the council.
- Contact the State Council to learn if there is a state chairman who is responsible for coordinating statewide activities, and determine how your council, assembly or circle can support these activities and initiatives.
- Arrange a goal for the council to raise annually as a contribution to The Global Wheelchair Mission – a specific dollar amount, a specific number of wheelchairs, etc. Schedule events to raise monies, and promote goal to members encouraging individual contributions.
- Work with other parish groups or civic organizations in your community to organize joint efforts to support The Global Wheelchair Mission.
- Consider determining a location (country) to support the distribution of wheelchairs – and promote this to the members and throughout the community.
- Print and distribute copies of the donation form to council members and their families, encouraging personal donation to the Mission. Donation forms should be collected by the council or state chairman, or make arrangements for individuals to note the council information on the form and send directly.
- Recognize donors of the council at a council meeting, or annual awards banquet or ceremony.
- Report your activities to the Supreme Council with the Global Wheelchair Report (#10071) or for Canadian councils the Global Wheelchair Report (#10071-C). Remember that working with the Wheelchair Mission is one of our "featured" programs. If the council, working with the parish, raises the funds to purchase 100 or more wheelchairs, the council would fulfill all four of the programming requirements in the Community Activities category for the Columbian Award.
To assist your council, assembly or circle in its participation with the Global Wheelchair Mission, the following materials and links are provided:
The Global Wheelchair Mission site – USA
Global Wheelchair Mission Report (#10071)
Global Wheelchair Mission Report (#10071-C)
Columbian Award Application (#SP-7) Due 6/30
Annual Survey of Fraternal Activity (#1728) Due 1/31