The start of the fraternal year often brings new faces to the leadership in your council. Whether you got elected to an officer role for the first time, or have been re-elected and need a refresher, here is a guide to your leadership team of Knights.
• Serves as spiritual advisor to council members (and their families) and provides faith formation during council meetings.
• Presides over all meetings.
• Appoints council chaplain, program and membership directors, and committees. Countersigns checks and orders for payment.
• Monitors council progress towards earning Star Council Award.
• Ensures all council forms and reports are submitted in a timely manner.
• Conducts the council semi-annual audit.
• Assists the grand knight with operation of the council and any other duties assigned to him by the grand knight, presides at council meetings in the absence of the grand knight, and often serves on the council’s Retention Committee.
• Responsible for encouraging members’ participation in council programs, assists the grand knight and deputy grand knight with their duties and often serves on the council’s Admission Committee.
• Ensures that the council membership records are updated and that new members sign the Constitutional Roll.
• Files various reports and membership/insurance transactions with the Supreme Council.
• Responsible for completing and submitting the proper Form 990 (U.S. only).
• Keeps the seal of the council and affixes it to membership cards, resolutions and other official documents as necessary.
• Collects dues from members.
• Responsible for sending billing notices and initiating retention measures.
• Responsible for keeping and maintaining a record of council meetings and maintains all correspondence of the council, oversees all council communications, social media pages, and council calendar.
• Responsible for handling council funds.
• Receives money from financial secretary and deposits it in the proper council accounts.
• Responsible for paying all council expenses.
• Responsible for providing suitable educational and entertaining programs during the “Good of the Order” section of council meetings.Advocate
• Acts as parliamentarian for the council.
• Should have a working knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order, Charter, Constitution & Laws, and council by-laws.
• Responsible for seeking legal assistance from the state advocate when necessary.
• Responsible for supervising and maintaining all council property.
• Prepares council chambers for meetings and degree exemplifications.
• Oversees inside and outside guards.
• Attends the doors of the council chamber, checks current membership cards and allows entrance and assists the warden with his responsibilities.
• Supervises all financial business of the council and conducts semiannual audits.
• Works with the grand knight in scheduling council programs.
• Manages chairmen and other Knights responsible for implementing the council’s programs and activities.
• Keeps accurate records of council programs for reporting on the annual Survey of Fraternal Activity (#1728) and Columbian Award Application (SP-7).
• Keeps council’s public relations chairman informed of all programs for promotion.
• Collaborates with the grand knight on council membership goals.
• Manages the Recruitment Committee, Retention Committee and Insurance Promotion Committee.
• Plans and coordinates the council’s schedule of recruitment programs.
• Creates and updates the new member plan, guiding Knights through the first months and year of membership.
• Contacts members in danger of being suspended and discusses their reasons for decreased activity.
• Examines reasons why Knights become inactive and plans attractive programs to reengage the council's membership.
Logos & Emblems
Fraternal Leader Advisory
Knights in Action
Share your Knights in Action News
Please contact the
Knights of Columbus News Bureau